Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Does Singapore change me?!!!

Some of you guys (I think most of you) heard this story before. I used to hate Singaporeans so much but now hmnnnn (masih kali ye). I have encountered some bad experiences before I decided to stay here for long term. I always have tonnes of tonnes of excuses when my parents asked me to stay here until I was graduated and left no choices.

I shouldnt say that all Singaporeans bad, no no I should say 'unfriendly' instead of bad. I made friends with some of nice people at the gym place (even most of them arent as same age as me). My colleagues are also nice, we can get along very well.

Then, I started to find some what i call 'weird' things about singaporean.

1. First week at work, I tried to be friendly with all human being who work at the same floor as me (i guess around 100 people). I wasnt that thick skin (what my colleagues always call me) that go over ppl cubicle and talk. Its just a smile, please just a smile and my colleagues said I'm thick skin and over friendly =(. I asked them why ppl in our floor not friendly at all, then they asked why.
Me: I saw this girl in toilet, i know she just sit next to our cubicle then I smile at her. But she give that fierce look like i want to rob her. (may be something wrong with my smile hahahhaa)
Colleagues: hahahahhahahha, why u smile at people without any reason, of course they will think you are Siau lah. (They keep laughing and then told my manager, my manager say "Sue is a warm and friendly person what". I dont know its a compliment or what, but all of them keep laughing. Sigh...)

Oh my God, do I need a reason just to smile?! Then i thought may be that lady have a bad day, but I was wrong. Tired of smiling for a month then I stop and dont expect that we will make friend with others.

2. I dont know what happen will all guys, sometimes our jobs need us to carry boxes and move things. Around 6 months working here, none of them have ever offered help (actually we dont really need their help too, its just a woman's ego i guess :P). Forget about HELPING, they wont even hold the door for you. SUCKXXXX!!! Its really a different world and people if you compare between Canadian and Singaporean.

3. One gentleman, no I should call him LOSER, came to us in our 1 weeks work. He say "So, you all are new provisioning team eh, then u all will distribute out the token to asia and emea right? You know what, because of having this new team, all my IT mobile people have to end their job because they arent needed anymore" Then he left. In fact this loser is a manager, yah it happened only by today we knew he is manager. I cant imagine as a manager, he acted like that. His unprofessional behaviour should keep him as a office boy forever. Too bad, sometimes we still need his help though.

If you all think I'm too sensitive with singaporean, its a NO NO and NO. Even my colleagues (all of them singaporean), they admit that this environment is terrible but they dont care. They said as long as we finish our work and our manager treat us well, Its fine. Thanks God by giving me nice colleagues.

May be this is what they call working environment. Got it now!!!

So, Does Singapore Change Me?
NO..... I'm still my mom's sien, my friend's sur and my colleagues' sue sue sue ( i dont know why they like to call my name 3 time ,then i have to reply them yes,yes,yes lol). Keep Smiling =), it will brighten your day.

No offend to Singaporean though, its just my opinions and experiences in my workplace =P

PEACE!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

uhm... interesting that people in ur office wont smile.

They should know the "reasons to smile" hahahaha because they wont smile without a reason....

let's spread out the "smile"

peace ~

Anonymous said...

additional:

the girl didnt smile back to you... she must be charmed and stunned with your smile choco ....

you have a great smile! hard work paid off... *brushing teeth for 3 times a day*

Start brushing folks

DarkCocoa said...

hahahah u rite efumi, they should have a great reason to smile or may be they habe to pay for smile.

yeah, brush your teeth 3 times a day using Colgate 24 hours protection. LOL